Search Engine Submission, aka submitting content to Google and Bing, remains an important aspect of SEO in 2024, although its necessity and the mechanisms for doing so have evolved over time. Here’s a breakdown of the current state of content submission to these search engines and why it still matters:
- Search Console: Google’s primary method for search engine submission is through Google Search Console. This tool allows webmasters to submit sitemaps and individual URLs for indexing. It’s especially useful for new websites or pages that might not yet be discovered by Google’s crawlers.
- Automatic Discovery: Google’s advanced algorithms are very efficient at discovering and indexing new content without manual submission. However, submission through Search Console can speed up the indexing process and is particularly useful for ensuring that Google is aware of the latest content on your site.
- Indexing API: For certain types of content, such as job postings or live streaming videos, Google offers specific APIs that allow for real-time indexing. This is an advanced feature that can be leveraged for timely content.
- Bing Webmaster Tools: Similar to Google, Bing offers Bing Webmaster Tools, where you can submit sitemaps and URLs. This ensures that Bing is aware of your content and can help improve the speed at which your pages are indexed.
- Bing URL Submission API: Bing also provides an API for submitting URLs directly, enabling automation and integration into content management workflows. This is particularly beneficial for sites that frequently update or add new content.
Why It’s Still Important
- Speeds Up Indexing: Submitting content can significantly speed up the indexing process, which is crucial for new or time-sensitive content.
- Control Over Indexed Content: It gives webmasters more control over which parts of their sites are indexed and when.
- Error Detection: Both Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools provide valuable insights into indexing issues, allowing webmasters to troubleshoot problems with their site’s visibility in search results.
- Optimization: These tools offer insights and suggestions for optimization, which can improve a site’s search engine rankings.
While search engines have become more sophisticated in discovering content on their own, the submission of content through official tools like Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools remains a useful and sometimes necessary practice for SEO in 2024. It ensures that search engines are promptly aware of new or updated content, provides insights into how search engines view your site, and helps identify and resolve issues that could impact your site’s performance in search results.